Every parent needs good, fun activities for kids prepared and ready to go at any time. Without such things, you can end up with some pretty bored and restless kids on your hands.
That isn’t what anybody wants.
What every parent does want are some good, tangible, practicable activities that they can engage their children with, at any time of the year. They want a list of go-to activities ready for any time that they need them.
And, what do you know, we have such a list right here in this blog.
In this blog, we have separated lots of fun activities for kids into every season of the year, so that you may never run out of ideas for what to do with your kids, regardless of what time or season it is.
It must be your lucky day, fellow parents!
Let’s cut the chat and learn more about these so-called fun seasonal activities for kids, shall we? We all know that is why you are really here reading this introduction and I wouldn’t want to keep you from them any longer.
Spring is an awesome time of year.
It is when newness starts to bloom and new life starts to appear. It is when we can begin to look ahead to new beginnings and new starts after a long Winter.
How does this translate to activities for kids?
Well, the possibilities are endless with Springtime, I would say.
Here are some of the activities for kids in Spring that you could try with yours in your own family:
- Spending time outside, exploring nature. There are lots of great flowers that bloom in Spring and just some of the activities for kids you could do with this are spending some time looking for new flowers, taking photos of them, learning about them, plucking them, planting them, drawing pictures of them, and so on. You can take this opportunity to teach your children new things and show them the beauty and enjoyment that nature can hold. Beautiful!
- Gardening. On that note, Springtime is the perfect time to teach your children about gardening and to show them how to do it. You can take this seasonal opportunity to show them how to plant new things, cull old flowers and plants, and generally take care of a garden. This a cute and super fun activity for both the kids and the parents!
- Visiting animals and playing with animals. If you live near a petting zoo or farm, you will never be short of activities for kids in Spring. With new lambs, chicks and other animals on the rise at this time of year, it is a great time to introduce your children to some new wildlife and teach them all about them.
- Spring cleaning. It is never too early to get your kids involved in cleaning and doing household chores, no matter how small a part they are able to play at this stage. Spring is a great time for Spring cleaning and involving your children with this will help them learn this responsibility at a critical stage in their development. You can show them how fun it can be too!
- Starting a new hobby. Spring is the perfect time to motivate your child with a new hobby. If something hasn’t gone well last year, no worries, there are no shortage of activites for kids out there, get them involved with something new!
Summer is a fun and bubbly time of year and it is a time of exciting and new activities for kids.
Here are some of our go-to activities for kids to do specifically in the Summertime.
- Visiting a new place. With the combination of no school and better weather, the Summer is the perfect time to take your kids somewhere new for the first time. This will be an exciting and memorable experience for them that they can long associate with the fun of Summer. It doesn’t have to be abroad if you are on a budget right now either, you can stay close to home and still have fun new experiences in the sun.
- Beach trips. Does this one need too much of an explanation? I don’t think so. When it’s Summer, head to the beach!
- Water play. On that note, Summer is a great time for children to explore the water. Doing so in the Summer will help them have positive experiences with water and not be scared of it further down the line. This doesn’t have to be at a beach either, it could be at a local pool or even a paddling pool in your backyard. Either way, water in summer can lead to a whole range of activities for kids.
- Active relaxation and meditation. Summer is all about holidays and breaks, and this is a good time to show your children this concept. Children need to learn tools and skills that will help them relax as they go through life, and it is a good idea to start this as early as possible. Get your children into relaxation and meditation this Summer and you will never regret it.
What about fun activities for kids in Autumn? We have that covered too!
- Learning a new skill, focusing on learning. Autumn is back to school time for kids and adults alike. Associating Autumn with learning is a great way to help your kids out with this natural rhythm. Encourage them to get back to learning at this time of year by encouraging new skills, classes, and learning.
- Changing wardrobe, reorganising. Just as we had Spring cleaning, Autumn can be the perfect time to encourage your child to reorganise their belongings and get ready for a new season. You could go for shopping, redecorating, and a big deep clean.
- Outdoor time with sensory play. Activities for kids that include any aspect of sensory play will always be onto a winner, and Autumn provides a great opportunity for that with all of the changing colours and crunchy leaves. Even though it is getting colder, encourage your child to still get their outside time and use the sensations of the season to your full advantage.
Winter might be a time when you are more tempted to stay inside and stay cosy, but there are still lots of great activities for kids to be enjoyed in this season. Namely:
- Playing in snow. Snow… Kids… The perfect combination.
- Family time. It’s important in the Winter time to show your children what Christmas is all about, and that is family time. Not presents, toys, or money, but family time spent all together. Make sure you make as much time for this as possible during the Winter to really reinforce this message and keep the Christmas values alive for as long as possible.
- Making memory books or scrapbooks. As above, keep those family memories and good times intact!
- Gratitude activities. Winter can get all about consumerism and presents, and it can also be a pretty sad time for some people. A great way to combat this is to include lots of gratitude in your activities with kids at home. Get them to write gratitude lists, thank you notes, give presents rather than get, and so on. Show them there is love and happiness all around, even when they can’t see it.
- Doing good, charity activities. As above, keep the good values of Christmas at the forefront of things as much as possible.
- Baking. Hey, who doesn’t love a Christmas cookie?
… And that’s all folks!
All that’s left to do is to choose your favourite activities and start trying them out!
Stick around and get more tips and tricks to keep your kids entertained, right here on OnlyMomsKnow.